Burn Morel Maps and E-Book
Burn Morels: A Modern Forager’s Guide to Finding Mushrooms
2021 Burn Morel Maps
Our burn maps are curated, meaning we have spent hours sorting through the fires – removing many poor choices and also fires in areas that are inaccessible (and unlawful) for picking. We rank the fires in each state and focus on “A” rated fires which are sure to produce massive fruiting if the weather cooperates.
Unabridged maps containing all fires will be included.
The maps show fires and their perimeters using a Google Map rendering engine. This includes a satellite basemap and a hybrid terrain basemap (topo + roads).
Additionally, we are offering USFS and USGS overlays on most maps. Use the USFS especially for more accurate road information than Google.
Additionally, We take many of the top fires and break them down with focus pages with more detailed maps and editorial content about where to start in each fire.
- Provide a dynamic tree map that allows you to overlay tree species types onto the burn perimeters
- Show you how to create Tree Canopy maps (Density of trees, good canopies = good picking!)
- Show you how to create Slope angle maps (so you can target areas that are less steep)
- Show you several ways to add better Road, 4wd road, ATV Trail, hiking trails, gates and road closures to your maps
- Show you how to print maps.
- Provide several excellent precipitation maps
Downloadable files and mobile app options are not included with the base maps, but will be available for an additional fee for hunters who require this functionality. $10 per state, downloads provided in KML format.
Every spring under the right conditions, thousands of morel mushrooms carpet charred forest floors West of the Rockies. With the proper information you can become a pro at finding them!
The right burns are very hard to locate. Yet it’s imperative to know where to go before you leave on a burn morel hunt. Each year we spend many hours compiling and studying burn map data for the sole purpose of morel hunting. This burn morels e-book will teach you how to use our curated maps to locate ideal morel burn sites. We’ll also give you an idea of how we do it using Google maps and US Department of Interior burn data. The ebook provides an overview of elevation, forest types, accessibility, necessary permits, lands where you can and cannot hunt, natural indicators, portable technology and much more.
The Burn Morels E-book is included with all of our maps!
(36 page PDF download + Digital Burn Map Access)
Available Maps (all include E-book)
- Alaska – All fires on map, no ratings
- Arizona – three A rated fires
- California – four A rated fires
- Colorado – five A rated fires
- Idaho – seven A rated fires
- Montana – zero A rated fires
- New Mexico – one A rated fire
- Oregon – eight A rated fires
- Utah – one A rated fire
- Washington – three A rated fires
- Wyoming – one A rated fire
**We also provide access to unabridged maps which show ALL fires in these states.