Special Comes in All Shapes & Sizes
Lots of different things can make a foraging trip special. Today’s Aspen trip was notable because we totaled eight different edible mushrooms in one trip: Porcini, Golden Chanterelle, Milky Cap, Hawks Wing, Puff Ball, Shaggy Mane, Shrimp Russula and a little piece of Coral to make eight. If we only could have found some Hedgehogs and Oysters… or maybe Lobsters and Matsutakes… if only.
A few other cool notables today:
- I spied a Bolete out the car window while we were cruising down the road. The infamous Road Shroom!
- We found lots of porcini #1 buttons
- We hunted a new spot today and it was highly productive. It is always nice to find a new spot!
- The spot involves wading across a good-sized stream which adds a bit of adventure.
- We found two boletes in a weird location under a pair of big trees… when we went to pick them up, they were just the caps. Evidence of Squirrels carrying the caps up into their trees (and dropping these two).
- Trent ate some of the Coral Mushroom. It was a nice sample… next time he will try a bit more. Apparently they can be a laxative, so, we will approach this mushroom with caution!